Saturday 16 April 2011

Much Marcle church

A little footpath crosses in front of the cottage and joins the church with the road running towards Kempsley and Dymock.


An early preaching cross which dates from the 15th C.

In Victorian times, the swooping branches of the Yew tree were supported beneath by metal stands which looked rather like street light bases, and the biggest upright branches were tied together with these chains, which have been encircled by the growing tree in places.

The base has a shape rather like a Baobob tree, but if you look closely, the downward ribs are, I believe, the roots descending from former regrowth . . . See lower picture for how this happens.

The carved wooden effigy of Walter de Helyon c. 1350.


Church "furniture" has a tendency to be a) pretty hefty and b) lockable so you can neither open it or carry it and its contents away! Fairly effective against burglary . . .

I couldn't resist these little angelic music-makers - look at those fat chubby fingers : )



I have never seen a Hedgehog as a footrest before - they are normally dogs or lions!

You'll have to double click to read this.

The tomb of Blanche Mortimer.




Regrowth on one of the "dead" areas of the yew tree. my husband says this regeneration can cause the tree to be reborn several times - no wonder


The Much Marcle tree is believed to be at least 1500 years old - in THIS incarnation. Who is to say how much older was the tree it grew from?

My friend J and I sat in the tree. i am the gormless looking one on the right, trying not to grin!

HERE
is a link to the history of this church.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful church - love the tombs. I thought that hedgehog was a ball of wool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yew trees in churchyards always fascinate me - they are so gnarled and look like they've been there for ever. I can see you love having your photo taken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WG - I think it looks more like a Porcupine than a hedgehog. Must look the family up - I just know there's a jump jockey by that name!

    Catherine - welcome. Yup, you've guessed it, I HATE being in front of the camera . . .

    ReplyDelete