Wednesday 1 April 2015

Lift up thine eyes to the hills . . .




It was my friend's funeral today.  The service began with Psalm 121 - which is what we used for my mum's funeral, and it echoes a synchronicity with the window engraving from Capel-y-Ffin I used on my blog post about Annie's death last week.  It was a fitting piece, as the crematorium had the most wonderful vaulted roof and immense window overlooking the Welsh hills.  Very uplifting.  I was choked with emotion (so many others were too and Annie's grandaughter was inconsolable) and I felt the need for some fresh air afterwards, so had a very brisk walk along the front at Aberystwyth.  Here is Annie when we had a lovely afternoon out in New Quay last summer.  Missing you my dear, but I will never forget you.


I;m going to put this photo on my memory stick and get copies printed for her son and daughter.

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful photo of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely picture of your dear friend Annie. She will be with you forever in your heart.
    Take care.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a frailty about your friend in this photograph and also a wise look. I recognise it from the same characteristics which came to my first husband some months before he died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Suzie and Rosezeeta. She was a very special person.

    Pat - you are right about the frailty - she had lost half her body weight by this point. She was a wise person but I think there is a look of acceptance in her face too, knowing her well as I did. I am sorry you have been reminded of that look in your first husband and hope it hasn't brought back too many sad memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attended a funeral service last year, it was conducted entirely in Welsh. I did not understand a word but found the language soothing and uplifting. Your friend is at peace now and her family will treasure the prints, they are so natural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Pam. I don't speak Welsh (although my children are all bi-lingual) and I used to find the Eistedfodds very difficult going. Yes, my friend is at peace, which is a relief. It's not good to see someone suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is indeed a beautiful photo of your friend. How she must have loved those outings that you chose with such care for her. Memories of happy times.xx

    ReplyDelete