Monday 27 April 2015

Next winter's fuel


This diseased Ash tree at the paddock edge was belatedly felled yesterday morning.  We had problems with it though, as the trunk split as my husband was cutting it.  The split went up several feet, so he went off in search of a chain.  We came back and re-assessed it from a safe distance. There was an ominous ticking of the crack travelling internally.  I was for leaving it and hoping it would reach a point of no return and come down of its own accord, and that's what it did, whilst we were back in the house.  Several of the biggest branches have been snapped off, making cutting them up easier, but the main trunk is still going to be a challenge as it's still attached to the split-in-half base . . .    I think we will be warmed more than several times over dealing with this chap.

Sorry for the lack of regular blog posts at the moment but I am helping my friend's daughter clear her mother's lovely cottage and that is accounting for two days a week (3 last week).

I want to get on in the garden here but although sunny, it has been perishing cold with a nasty sneaky N (N-E?) wind which is the sort that goes right through you.  We even had a frost last night, but after hailstones in the afternoon I had a premonition and brought in the most delicate seedlings and developing seeds (not sprouted) from the Real Seed Company into mum's kitchen, on the warm south-facing windowsill, covered in glass, for extra protection.  Just as well, as when I went to check on the green polytunnel this morning, it was stiff with ice!  Fortunately the contents are all OK.

Other photos added.  No time for words as I am late already.  Cats are Miffy and Ghengis who came to help me!












7 comments:

  1. We had a touch of frost this morning and a light shower yesterday afternoon, I have not put anything remotely tender outside yet. My greenhouse is in a sheltered spot and all is well there. I have the first 3 pots of Basil up but no sign of the Dill yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky you were not underneath when it shed the branches, its also sad when a tree has to come down, I felt bad pruning branches off some of ours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your cat helpers are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath - aren't they? Don't want to miss out on anything!

    Dawn - we have three nicely grown young oak trees to plant in the gaps now.

    Pam - Rarely do we get a frost this late. I used to regularly plant out beans in mid/end April with no fear of frost, and May used to be a heatwave 30 years ago, when we first moved here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such greenery all about; we're dealing with a drought and would love to have that green. Your kitties are so cute; I love that you have eight of the charming individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda - there are times when 8 is more than enough!! Love them all though. Sorry to hear about your drought. Wales is on the West coast and gets a lot of rain so always verdant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No frost here, but cold at night. That tree looks challenging!

    ReplyDelete