Monday 23 November 2015

Recipe for Applesauce Brownies

WHY did I freeze these?  Oh, I could eat one right now!  Anyway, make and enjoy - they just take a cup of applesauce so just a couple of any damaged or withered apples will suffice.


APPLESAUCE BROWNIES

2/3 cup (4 oz; 113 g) butter, melted  (or 150g if I translate it from an online site.  I used 4 oz anyway)
2 cups brown sugar (I halve this amount which would be about 4 oz/113g)
1 cup applesauce (drat, just use a tea mug!!!)
2 eggs
1 tblspn. grated orange peel
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose (plain) flour (11 oz/300 g)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans (I left these out as none in cupboard)
Confectioners' sugar (icing sugar, also omitted).

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.  Combine first two ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.  Beat in next 4 ingredients and reserve.  Sift together the flour, powder, salt, and soda and stir into applsauce mixture.  Stir in nuts if using.  Spread batter in a greased 10 x 15 inch pan (25 x 38cm) and bake for 40 mins.  Remove, cool and dust with confectioners' sugar if using.

Scrummy : )




I also ended up making breadcrumbs as I absent-mindedly shredded stale bread for the birds (it was going mouldy or I'd have toasted it obviously).  I was halfway through the 2nd heel of the loaf when I looked down and saw the loaf I was MEANT to be tearing up at my feed. Yup, you've guessed it, I was chucking out the current loaf.  Sigh.  So I left what was untorn to be eaten with cheese in chunks, and made breadcrumbs instead . . .  Some people freeze them undried, but I prefer to dry mine in a very slow oven and keep them in a jar to make stuffing with or coat fish or goujons.

5 comments:

  1. You do some lovely bakes, I wish I lived nearer x

    ReplyDelete
  2. SL - it would be lovely to have you visit. We don't get that many guests here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had an apple sauce brownie. I plan to change this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must try the applesauce brownies, they look so good.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel - you won't regret that decision!

    parsnip - they are scrummy and you have a ready made American recipe to use.

    ReplyDelete