Thursday 17 March 2016

A few more Romsey photos







This was my favourite angle.  The horse's attentiveness; the tension built into the muscles of the turning neck and the muzzle just waiting to snuffle up a treat.  Superb.



I have happy childhood memories of walking to the Salmon Leap and back.  My dad worked in Romsey and I used to go riding with John Bridges, who had several ponies and lived in Alma Road. His parents ran the pub there.  Seems like a century ago.  I still haven't forgiven him for giving me the rubber dinghy that LEAKED when we went on the Romsey Canal.  Let me tell you, NOTHING stinks like canal water!  Sinking in it was NOT fun . . .



Looking downstream.

This has been a busy week so far.  I will be back later today with a roundup.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely statue the work that goes into them is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing, what a beautiful statue of the horse and soldier. Revisiting old haunts must be very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Echoing, what a beautiful statue of the horse and soldier. Revisiting old haunts must be very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photographs - the horse and soldier one is so poignant. Thanks for a real taste of Romsey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That horse looks really sad and all in to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon - I could put up a link of some horses which really ARE down on their luck, sad and all in but they are upsetting (however, I do support the charity which rescues them). This horse isn't - I see a horse which has worked hard and is fit and very attentive because he wants his treat!

    Pat - I agree, a very poignant sculpture and she really captured the look of that lovely bay horse it was based on.

    Thelma - some of Romsey hasn't changed at all, and so it was like stepping back in time.

    Dawn - I think Romsonians are very proud of it, and rightly so. There were beautiful pieces of poetry on stones set into the path around the outside of the park.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous sculpture, BB, thanks for sharing it with us. Your blog is so inspirational and I see multitudes of items that would never otherwise cross my path. I love your blog !~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Lynda. I wish I had more time to give more background to stuff, but life keeps getting in the way. Garden "life" at the moment!! I WILL review a book I bought in Hay last week though, and put snippets of that in, as I think they will be fascinating reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The amount of the costs the residents have collected for establishing the monument is worth it! I was one of the contributor so I can surely confirm that Amy Goodman made a good job! Many of the guys here essaykings.co.uk are of the same opinion! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos of Romsey - and that horse statue brought tears to my eyes. Such a touching portrayal of love and trust between man and horse, united both in battle and off-duty.

    ReplyDelete