Tuesday 21 March 2017

A new old thing . . .


This - new to us - beautiful old oak settle has come to live with us.  It is in our front hallway as I speak, where it looks as if it was always there.  Keith reckons it dates from about 1720 and with that redness to the oak, could possibly be from Montgomeryshire, where the redness of oak used for dressers there is quite specific to this county.  The fabric for the cushions (there are more) is Laura Ashley.  The cover for the bench cushion has gone straight in the wash as it stank of cigarette smoke - this used to be in a Guest House.

I particularly like the little carved knobs along the front and ends (one end is missing one, sadly).  We will try to tie it regionally with those too, although it could well just be a little quirk of the maker.

Life goes on here.  We viewed an auction today, and will attend it tomorrow as the car has to go in for its MoT and that's almost next door.  We have noted a couple of things of interest, though the item which I found fascinating and which is superb quality is probably going to head towards four figures (estimate on it is around £500!) - it's a skilfully-carved Japanese hardwood figure but a couple of pieces are sadly missing - a leg being one of them - they fitted on like a Barby or Ken figure!!  Fabulous workmanship.

It has been too cold and wet to get out in the garden - it was trying to snow at one point today.  I haven't seen the stray tom (Sam), so I shall put out more food now it is getting dark and hope he is about to come and avail himself of a free meal at some point.  There is the other Big Fat Black Tom who is sometimes around the farmyard, so they may have met up and Sam has gone off to hide (I wouldn't blame him) or a few good meals have made him feel strong enough to go in search of ladies further up the valley.

I did a stupid thing today.  Just as my sprained wrist had finally calmed down a bit and seemed to be mending, I took two wall lamps with glass chimneys from the hall, and put them on top of the cupboard in the back hall for safe keeping. Just as I was putting the 2nd one up there, it slipped and in trying to save the glass chimney from being smashed, I twisted my hand and wrist to grab it. THAT was it - oh my - it was SO painful, and I didn't know what to do with myself for a minute.  It was even more painful when I iced it.  I need to do that again now, so had better grit my teefs and do it before I forget.  The bit affected is the grip between thumb and hand and I can't pick anything up - I can just about manage a small tin of soup.  What a daft bint I am . . .

12 comments:

  1. Love the settle, they built things to last back then, can't imagine Ikea stuff going on for 300 years, and Ouch! but hope the glass was saved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - the glass was saved. I'd have been so cross to wreck my wrist again to no good purpose! That settle was definitely built to last - the supports are 4" x 4" oak and the planks an inch thick at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see photo of the settle. I'm not surprised you will be keeping it for yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DW - there are often pieces of furniture that we see, and I think "Oh, that's nice" but this settle just spoke to me. I've always wanted one and this was too nice to pass by. We bought a good oak table with it too, but that is to sell on (hah - to pay for the settle!)

      Delete
  4. Lovely settle! My husband swears by the power of his pot of 'horse-strength' arnica to sooth. I hope your wrist is soon properly on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some arnica - pills and cream - I'm sure, in the cupboard. Must go search them out.

      Delete
  5. I can see why that's a keeper. A friend of mine offered me her slightly puppy chewed monk's bench a few years ago. I would have said that we didn't have the space, but we found it and here it still lives!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, we rather had to make space too, but it does look perfect in the hall now. I shall take a picture when I have tidied up down there.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful bench :) Hope your wrist improves soon.

    Just catching up on posts - lovely photos of Hay on Wye and I read your family history research with interest. Trying to decide here whether or not to take a trial subscription to Ancestry or Find my Past. Or whether I should go to the library first and access them both for free to see which is the best. Tried to get on censuses last night and again you have to subscribe to get proper information - have come to conclusion family history research is not only time consuming but rather expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family history research companies bleed you white. There's a military answer I want but damned if I am going to go and pay extra for it, and ditto for checking through the newspapers. I have to say, I don't find Ancestry terribly user-friendly, because you type in your person, and if you tick exact, half the time it finds you zilch. Remove the exact tick and you get half a million people to check through, most of whom have different names or are nowhere near the area you have specified. Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but I'm not that enamoured of it.

      Glad you enjoyed the photos of Hay. I enjoy exploring and will take the footpath up to the new-to-me well next time (there's a lovely spring-fed well down at the other end of town too.

      Delete
  7. I too love horses and jump racing but we don't have that here in Washington State, USA. Mostly Quarter Horses....who don't always jump, but if they did, would be very good for about a quarter of a mile before they gave out. Also have done genealogy work for the past 35 years. Ancestry takes some tweaking. I'm convinced they offer professional help so they don't have to explain the nuances of Ancestry; they just hope someone will hire one of their people. I'm not complaining (I used to be 'one of their people' when I was doing more work than now); I just wish they'd give more clues about navigating the site. For instance, I don't think they tell you any name entered in a search can consist of the first three letters, then an asterisk (*). That way you can get more spelling variations in the results. A name like GODBEHERE gets very mixed up in the U.S. Many clerks just give up and write GODBY. So, for the ones that got, at least, the first three letters correct, using GOD* gave me added, good, results. I also tried GAD* and found another one hiding in the lists. It's not easy, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Prairie Stitcher. I think Ancestry aren't as helpful as they might be!! Thanks for the tips. It's very frustrating at times, trying to winkle out my missing folk, but I have to say, half the fun is in the search, and the joy in actually adding 2 and 2 and finding 4 is worth it!! I am still learning which "diminutives" lived in which London parish - as in Shepherd's Bush being in Twickenham, and Peckham is in Camberwell. Or it was in Victorian times.

    Then there are the ones who seem to have lived forever as I'm darned if I can find a death listing! We are convinced one is still lieing at the bottom of a Manchester canal with his gin jug clasped in one skeletal hand!!!

    I guess Quarter Horses are just built for the speed and all that muscalature in the hind quarters isn't the right sort for jumping! I used to have a penpal who sent me QH and Morgan horse magazines so understand a little about the breeds.

    ReplyDelete