Wednesday 8 March 2017

A walk down memory lane


Yesterday I set out to do a walk I'd not done for about 15 years.  I did it the reverse way to that which I took last time, when I think I had my offspring with me.  I got Keith to drop me off at Pontargothi and I set off, heading along the lane beside the River Cothi and passing Glancothi House on the way.  I'd forgotten that this was about 3/4 mile from the A40 - my memory said it was much closer!




Abercothi estate - home to a successful Fishery business (fishing in the Rivers Towy and Cothi).  Back in the 1600s, this property was under the same ownership as our house (Griffith Lloyd, one-time High Sherriff of Carmarthen - not in the Wild West sense though!)



I looked at this bridge - just over a bit of a gully - and thought, gosh, the estate spent an awful lot of time and money creating something so posh to go over a big ditch!  Then, looking across the field, I could see that it hd been the bridge over the old railway line which ran from Carmarthen, through Abergwili, to Nantgaredig, then across the fields and river to Dryslwyn, and onwards to Llandeilo.  I could just see the raised bank that the railway ran on, amongst overgrown trees, heading across the fields.  (Below).





My footpath led along this trackway towards Llanegwad.


MANY years ago we were friendly with the family that bought this cottage.  I remember it having a fabulous original dairy/pantry - but it also had ceilings with asbestos in.  The couple split up - he stayed, but when a tree fell on the roof, he didn't have the money for repairs.  It was for sale (cheaply) a couple of years ago and a friend of ours went to view it, but said there was just too much to do.  Someone is now doing it up as it has been reroofed, and there are two skips of building rubbish and rubble outside.  I hope they are happy there, as it is a lovely spot.


Further up the lane, someone had a good collection of free range poultry.


This is Llanegwad church.  It just has a tower now, as the steeple became dangerous and had to be removed.  Out children used to go to Harvest Festival celebrations here.


Above, Alltyferin is our next to nearest neighbour going up over the hill and towards Pontargothi.  A sad memorial for the housekeeper's son, only 13 when he died back in 1866.  Below: a few more of the gravestones which are now providing habitats for ivy and lichens.  I was about half way through my walk at this point, so I will continue it tomorrow.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I love exploring graveyards and reliving the past. I hope it helped with some family history thoughts. Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the walk with me Tracy. Talking about graveyards, our middle daughter Gabby said this was one of her abiding memories of family holidays - being dragged around them looking for "rellies"!!

    ReplyDelete