Monday 2 May 2016

Book roundup


Apologies for absence, but I was very busy with gardening and housework last week, and we have been busy hurtling around the countryside for the past few days, trying to make a living -   which was a bit of a laugh really as not much has been selling at all!  Ah well, this was one morning when we were still here when the dawn rose.


Anyway, I have been sleeping badly, on top of everything, and fighting a chest infection - worst time to get one.  We were due a viewing next week, but fortunately (in some ways) this has had to be rescheduled (still waiting to hear when).  So I was able to rest up for two days before having to do the hurtling round the countryside.  This wonderful book, Meadowland, was one I treated myself to a couple of weeks ago when I found it for just £1 in one of the Llandeilo charity shops.  It is so beautifully written, and the farm is situated on the Herefordshire border, just behind the Black Mountains.  I can't recommend it highly enough.


Here's another Charity Shop find, and also unputdownable.  I've wanted it since reading a review of it in the weekend Telegraph.   I love it because there are lots of horses in it too and it evokes a time that seems familiar to me (though I was born 10 years after the author).


I just couldn't resist this addition to my Bronte collection.  A different perspective on Charlotte Bronte in this book, and worth reading if you are a Bronte fan.


As I have been sitting down (all day yesterday near Bristol), I have had time to finally read big chunks of this wonderful book, which evokes happy Wiltshire memories (I used to live near Salisbury) and a time now long forgotten, with customs and stories which have otherwise been lost.  A modern print of this would make a wonderful present for a country-lover.


OK, I couldn't resist this book on Wessex for £2 - I didn't NEED it, but I do have several others in this series and am a Wessex lass.  This still had all the colour illustrations in it - many didn't survive intact and had the plates taken out and framed up to sell as pictures.  I have Dorchester in my hallway, taken from a copy of this book (but not done by me).



This was just a pound, and is to be read and then passed on.  Honest injun.



Ahem, this wasn't anything like as cheap as it's just been published, but I had a sod it moment.  It was worth buying and I would truly have regretted leaving it in the shop . . .

What have you all been reading?

17 comments:

  1. 2 out of 7 read
    1 out of 7 owned
    1 out of 7 thought I'd read but hadn't - sure I'd borrowed it from library but perhaps not
    Love the look of the pictures in the Wessex book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wessex book is lovely. I was trying not to buy it but then Keith bought it for me (£2!)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you are on the mend, Not read any of the books a couple of them look interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised to find you have much reading time at this time of the year, when it's all go outside!!

      Delete
  3. I haven't found anything absorbing to read since finishing the Poldark saga--rather unusual for me. Most of my reading time lately has gone into the current genealogy project--when I can get online.
    Your 'Meadowland' book sounds appealing in the reviews I found on goodreads--so I've ordered a used copy from alibris.
    Reviews were very mixed--mostly not enthusiastic--on the Xandra Bingly memoir so I passed on that one.
    I suspect if the one on Charlotte Bronte was put on my desk I would read it, but dear me, that family, gifted though they must have been, were dreadfully depressing. I daresay today we'd diagnosis the lot as bi-polar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I have led you astray. Glad you will be deep in Meadowland soon. The Xandra Bingley one reminds me of when I was growing up (though I didn't have her privileges - they were quite "posh" compared with me and had the horses I could only dream about.) The Brontes are fascinating - very introverted in some ways because of being left to their own amusements as children and what outside influences there were in childhood - apocalyptic prints of the end of the world and the like on the wall created their brilliant imaginations. Yet because of the Mills in Haworth, they were also very aware of how the millworkers struggled against industrialization.

      Delete
  4. Just need some books to read ;). Celtic Saints was on my desk till yesterday, that Meadowland book looks good though. Must admit that charity shop books around here are not as good as in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your local charity shops are poor for books. You will have to have An Outing to somewhere with good ones! Did you get Meadowland? It is a beautiful book to read.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting collection. All I seem to read at the moment is Dick Strawbridge's Self sufficiency book as it gives great advice to novices like me and hubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, horses for courses Louise! I dare say you have no time for anything that isn't outside and practical at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Lovely selection of books there BB - I finished Meadowlands a few weeks ago - a truly beautiful book - just loved it. Have a copy of The Shepherd's Life but haven't read it for some years. The last Herefordshire book looks exceedingly interesting! Here am still working my way through the Susan Howatch "Starbridge" novels for the second time - am on the 5th and once I pick it up I can't put it down. Also reading Morville Hours from my pile of books to be read and its superb! Discovered you can visit the gardens (not far from Bridgenorth) so somehow will have to persuade OH to go perhaps in June for the roses.

    Hope the chest infection completely clears up soon - son and OH here still suffering and now daughter has gone down with it. I keep shovelling manuka honey down myself - probably makes no difference but so far have managed to escape the virus.

    Good Luck for when the house viewing is re-arranged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just written another book RR, so that's on my most wanted list - there was a lovely two page piece by him (from the book) in the Daily Mail yesterday. The chest infection is still lingering (the a-b's take about 3 weeks to clear it) and so I am still brought down a bit by the a-b's and their side effects. Better than I was though thanks. Enjoy that garden btw.

      Delete
  7. Hi BB hope you are feeling more with it and getting some sleep [hugs].

    By the way I have nominated you for the Liebster award via my blog http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/

    Hope you are able to take part.

    Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia. About to be Very Busy over the weekend, so will try and get over to claim it next week.

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed a ramble through Wales on your blog - and wish I had time for all those books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had time for all those books too, but have managed several big chunks from Charlotte Bronte and W H Hudson this past week. Glad you enjoyed rambling through this beautiful country.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete