Tuesday 29 August 2017

After Malvern Fleamarket




Heading home from Malvern yesterday morning, I stopped to take a photo of the view.  Quite a few houses are built overlooking the vale, and they must have the most amazing views, especially of sunrises. 

We were up at 3.45 a.m. to set off.  It takes about 2 1/2 hours from here to Malvern.  The first hour and a bit was in darkness (the sun comes up around 6.10 a.m.) and the first half an hour was thick river fog/low cloud.  Before we got onto the A40, we cut up over the hill on the short cut lanes and Keith remarked, "There's a road there SOMEWHERE!"  As the driver, I was inclined to agree with him - couldn't get above 20 mph as it really was a pea souper!

We had a very enjoyable day, and saw lots of friends from the trade, so it was time for a good conflab (as my mum would have said, bless her) and catching up on news - though some folk we had only seen recently.

We seemed to spend a lot of money (and a big chunk on the first stall we stopped at, as he buys in France and had bought some things with Keith's side of the business in mind).  My needs were less, and I was also looking for little bits for my white kitchen dresser (when it is finally delivered - Ian Is still looking for a newer van before he can deliver it).  I found the prettiest little fixed-together "cup and saucer" with pointy petalled top, creamy yellow glaze flower top and the right shade of green around the edges and saucer - a slightly lustred glaze, by Royal Winton.  Only £4 so it didn't break the bank (photo to follow).  I got some other ceramics and two pieces of Mdina glass, which I like to have in my display. 

It was VERY busy there - folk had been queuing for 2 hours just to get in to sell!  It took us four hours to walk round the outside stalls, and then another hour walking round the sheds, with a short interlude inbetween.  It was also HOT and after the first perambulation, we went back to the car laden with stuff and offloaded, and I changed from jeans and long sleeved top to a thin t-shirt and a skirt and sandles and was a lot more comfortable. 

We left early (for us) at about 11.30, thinking it was Sunday and the Ledbury car boot sale would be on, but no - it was Bank Holiday Monday and Ledbury was on shut-down because it was their annual carnival.  The car boot fields were the designated parking . . .  So we got home early, had a cup of tea and then I went out in the garden, continuing the Autumn tidy up.  It is to be a ruthless one this year - anything with large leaves and not much in the way of flowers for any length of time is being hoiked out.  It was the turn of the orange Crocosmias yesterday.  They had been breeding and breeding and where the soil was shallow in the shadow of the front wall of the house, had piles of corms going upwards - a foot deep in places.  They have a short flowering span and an awful lot of leaves so I have eradicated all but one bit (to be done later) and have an entire wheelbarrow full of corms (happy to post to people if anyone else wants to give some room in their garden.  In their place I shall plant spring bulbs to be followed by annuals.





As you can see, that will weigh a ton when I wheel it across the paddock to empty it!

Anyway, I have a LONG list of jobs to do.  We finally have the plumber booked to come tomorrow to replace all the leaky old Screwfix copper piping (note to self: you get what you pay for - we won't be using them again, although in our defence, it was our builder's idea to use them, for speed of delivery).  Keith and Danny have put a new backing on the one fitted unit in the kitchen (which is no longer fitted!) so all the mouldy stuff has gone to be put on the next bonfire we have.  The worktop will follow it.  We have a new one being delivered this week.  Off to town shortly and then I will be wielding my paintbrush again . . .


Quite a lot of soil came up with the corms, despite shaking some off, so I am topping up the levels with the spent compost from the big tomato and cucumber pots from the greenhouse.  The occupants of which were nobbled by Blight and Mildew a month ago.  They grew much better (and disease-free) in the bigger polytunnel I had - the one which went airborne on me and bit the dust.

8 comments:

  1. I feel exhausted reading that!
    You had a very busy day, i bet you sleep well tonight after all that work. I had the same plant as you take over an entire bed it looks lovely in small quantities but spreads and spreads.

    I have had my outdoor peas go mildewy. Have no idea why. Maybe the change in weather? Its my first venture into growing veg and all was going so well until a couple of weeks ago.

    Your yet to be delivered white dresser inspired me to paint an orange pine dresser i had lurking. Not white though, mixed my own colour of french grey with blue tones.
    Hope you enjoy your new dresser as much as i am enjoying mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharie. It was a wee bit tiring (the early start takes several days to recover from at our age!) The Crocosmia is just one of several garden thugs I regret ever planting! I try and persuade myself that at least the bees benefit but this year it seemed to have flies on it rather than bees. The bees were about in the early part of late spring/summer an ADORE the Cranesbill "Weeping Widow", which I also have thickets of!

      I'm glad the yet-to-be-delivered white dresser inspired you. I can't wait to get mine and adorn it! Yours sounds a pretty colour.

      Delete
  2. I shall look forward to seeing your new dresser.
    I've dug out two big patches of crocosmia - all leaf and no flower- didn't bother to keep any at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I'm not the only one then Sue. I have two other little bits of it but will remove the one under the apple tree - put there when I was strapped for cash to prettify the garden.

      Delete
  3. Crocosmia Lucifer is possibly the exception BB - it is the most startling red, very tall and quite long flowering. If you haven't any then let me have your address and I will send you a few corms to start you off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that one in a discreet patch and that is the only one staying! Thank you so much for your offer Pat. It does look a treat, I have to say. But the orange one . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering what is an option for my work meadow now he year has rolled on so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it looks anything like my paddock (Umbellifer central!! - great for insects though), then I think The Chop is the only answer Simon . . .

    ReplyDelete