Thursday 7 September 2017

Lace making and a Fledging Heron


This morning I went to my friend Dawn's for my first lesson in lace-making - if you remember, I had a little taster at the Quilt and Textiles Fair last Friday.  It was very kind of Dawn, as she had to look for all her lace-making equipment, books, pillows etc and set it all up ready for me to get started.  I began with winding all the threads on to the various bobbins.  I was very glad that I had several different colours to make it easier to start with.

The start.  Ooh-er, doesn't it look complicated?!  Yet once Dawn had shown me (hah! repeatedly!) what to do, I finally got the hang of it and now I am hooked!  I am glad I took photos as this one shows me how it is meant to look . . .


As you can see, there is a special pattern which you follow, and you just keep crossing and twisting and putting pins in and moving bobbins across from one side to the other and gradually form a pattern (hopefully that which you are meant to be doing!)  I felt such a connection with all those Battams ladies (my mum's side of the family) in Stoke Bruern, Northamptonshire, who earned their living by making lace.  I told myself, children were started at 4 years old - I could DO this!!!  Mind you, I suspect they were started off just winding bobbins, and progressed to pricking patterns before they ever touched a bobbin to make lace.

I have brought this home with me, but have a busy weekend ahead, so hope I haven't forgotten it by the time I sit down with it again.  Dawn kindly provided me with a little notebook too, so I have some working notes in that.


On the way to Dawn's, I had to drive at a snail's pace behind this just-fledged Heron.  He couldn't fly - just manage to flutter 6" or so above the ground.  I made sure I didn't spook him or get too close, and eventually he walked into a gateway and I drove slowly past.  No sign of him on the way back, so at least he hadn't been flattened by a car.  I hope he manages to scramble up into a bush or something tonight, or else a fox may take advantage.

I took more photos of the valley on the cusp of autumn, but it took more than 20 minutes just to load these three, so I will try and do another post a.s.a.p.

8 comments:

  1. Right, the lace is more complex than cack handed me could ever manage! Stumbling along like a fledgeling heron is something I can manage, what a nice little encounter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, even small boys were sent to the Lace Schools to learn this craft - all hands to the pump, so to speak. I hope the fledgeling heron found how to get off the ground last night. Never seen one before and didn't know there was a Heronry along our valley.

      Delete
  2. I'd be tied in knots in about 2 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought Sue! Macramé WASN'T for me, but Lace Making just might be.

      Delete
  3. The lace making looks fascinating if a little complicated! Hope the young heron survives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RR - I am thoroughly hooked now, as a book about lace-making in the East Midlands (Bedford/Bucks/Northampton) has just arrived in my bread bin (we don't have a letter box!) I hope young master heron survives too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the inspiration BB. My local lacemaking group is meeting in the church tomorrow and demonstrating their craft as part of Heritage weekend so I'll be going along to have a go. Your lacemaking is looking very promising and I can imagine it would be a lovely relaxing hobby for winter afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - My daughter mentioned the Heritage weekend but NOTHING in Wales. Nearest things to go to are being held around the Forest of Dean. Rats! I hope you enjoy your lace making experience tomorrow and glad I am paying it along already.

      Delete