Sunday 19 November 2017

A busy week ahead and that Venison casserole recipe


As you can see, I have indulged in another magazine.  This is my favourite quilting magazine and has some lovely quilts in it.  As I am so busy quilting at the moment, it's good to keep my mojo active over the winter months, when I have a bit more time (once Christmas is behind us).



Above and below: I also indulged in these two quilted bag making books.  I love the little houses on the bag bottom left on the Quilted Bags and Gifts book. 

I was inspired to get the Happy Hexies book after the last quilt show, when I saw some pre-cut "felty" formers for small hexagons, that would keep the sharp edges far better than paper piecing and are designed to be left in.  I didn't buy any but I will at the next Malvern quilt fair I go to, if the same stand is there.


I am trying to keep myself cheerful (hence the purchases) as I am not feeling 100% at the moment.  Yesterday was the anniversary of my best friend Tricia's death, so that has made me feel rather low, and I have some health blips too, which I will be glad when they are sorted.  My main asthma inhaler doesn't seem to be agreeing with me but it won't be sorted until I see my Asthma Nurse in December.  I have had to drop the dosage (Dr's advice) and it looks like I will have to have a change of medication.

We have a couple of Fairs lined up for the next two weekends, and next week's is in a very cold unheated venue, so that will have to be endured. I just hope folk SPEND for once.  All the stallholders were complaining last time as despite a large number of people through the doors, very few of them actually spent any money!  We don't do this for fun . . .  We won't be continuing doing this Fair in 2018 as it's just not worth the effort, which is a shame as it is local.

Anyway, I can hear Keith unpacking his new electric chainsaw (his sore arm won't allow him to yank the cord on the petrol one) so will go down and make admiring noises!!

                            *            *          *

ANTONY WORRALL-THOMPSON'S VENISON CASSEROLE

1 kg (2 1/4 lbs) stewing venison cut into 3 cm pieces &  Seasoned flour for dusting.
2 tblspns vegetable oil
175g (6 oz) diced smoked bacon
1 large onion, finely chopped
2cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sprig thyme   2 tblspns redcurrant jelly
300ml/ 1/2 pint red wine
150ml/ 1/4 pint port
600 ml/1 pint game or beef stock
12 stoned prunes           50g/ 2 oz dried cherries
50g/ 2 oz dried cranberries
200g/ 8 oz chestnuts, cooked and peeled
100g/ 4 oz button mushrooms
2 bay leaves
Zest organic orange
1 tblspn tomato puree
small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped

Dumplings: 

175g/ 6 oz plainflour
1 tspn salt    1 rounded tspn baking powder
3 tsp chopped parsley           1 tblspn olive oil
3 tblspn chopped chives
100 ml/ 3 1/2 fl oz milk

Heat oven to 140 deg. C/Fan 120/ Gas 1.  Toss venison in seasoned flour.  Heat oil in ovenproof casserole and brown venison all over in batches.  Add bacon, onion, garlic and thyme and soften for 6 - 8 mins. without browning.  Add the remaining ingredients, apart from parsley and bring slowly to simmering point, then cover and cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until venison is tender.

Make dumplings.  Sift flour, salt and baking powder into large bowl.  Make a well in the centre and add olive oil and herbs, pour in the milk, then mix with a fork to form a soft dough.  Place on a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.  Divide and shape into 12 dumplings.

After 2 - 2 1/2 hours, turn oven up to 180 deg C/Fan 160/Gas 4.  Season the casserole with pepper, then place dumplings on surface.  Cover and cook for another 35 - 40 minutes, or until the dumplings have risen.

Remove from oven allow to rest for 5 mins, then skim off any fat that has risen to surface.  Sprinkle with parsley and serve with potato and celeriac mash and ruby braised red cabbage and beetroot.

This has survived from a cookery magazine from 2007.


4 comments:

  1. Sorry you are not feeling so well BB. Take a flask of that casserole to that cold venue - sounds so warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happier once I've seen my Respiratory nurse Pat. The casserole is very warming and I might just do that this weekend!

      Delete
  2. I hope Keith enjoys his new chainsaw as much as I enjoy mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he will once he has got the chain on - it's a tad snug!

      Delete